1/19/12

'A Sound Among the Trees'

Author: Susan Meissner
Genre: Historical/General
Publisher: Waterbrook

For some reason when I requested this book I was expecting a purely historical novel. I suppose the cover design was part of the reason for that. Part of the story was historical, sort of - almost a flashback. (One of the characters is reading things that were written during the Civil War.) Most of it, though, is contemporary.
The story setup and plot were excellent - a woman newly married to a widower with two children, moving into a house purported by many to be haunted. No complaints about the story.
The scene setting throughout the books was exquisite. Whether the author was describing the southern heat and humidity, a dusty old outbuiding, or a garden party wedding reception, I felt like I was there. I could feel the grass under my feet, hear the breeze in the trees, and feel the dust on my hands and clothes. My compliments to the author on crafting such a sensory treat. It's not often I find a book that really transports me into the story's setting.
I did feel like the plot was not explored and intensified to its full potential, though. When Marielle, the main character, begins believing that the house, Holly Oak, really is haunted, things could have become wonderfully exciting and thrilling... almost a modern/Civil War rendition of Northanger Abbey with a few twists. Unfortunately, in my opinion, it didn't achieve its potential in suspense and intensity. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting A Sound Among the Trees to be Northanger Abbey, but it did leave me feeling like there could have been more.
It was an enjoyable read, and I wouldn't mind picking up more of this author's work in the future.
I received a copy of this book free of charge from the publisher in exchange for my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Feel free to share your thoughts on it if you have, ask questions about it if you haven't, or share other books related to this topic.